Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Boost Regulator Soft Start

I am using the soft start circuit more-or-less straight from the LM317 datasheet

Soft Start using an LM317. Takes 300msec to reach 9V.

I started by adjusting the resistors to give a 9V output and use 1mA of bias current. It turns out the LM317 requires 10mA of output current to regulate. It's right there in the datasheet, but I missed it until I started to put the circuit together and couldn't figure out why it wasn't regulating. So I went for 10mA of current. Which seems like a lot. Maybe I should make an improved 317.

10mA. Ouch!

My intention is to soft start both the power supply for the compensator and the reference voltage. I used a diode model I had handy; I don't think the diode itself is particularly important.

Soft Start simulation results.


This entry is just a quick note. I ordered parts from Mouser and have started actually building the LED driver. I had trouble finding comparators of the needed speed at a price I could stomach. I'm going to try using the op-amps and only buy comparators if I need to. 

The approach to building the circuit will be to make the linear regulator with soft-start and use it to provide references. Then make the triangle-wave generator and see if I can really get a 400kHz triangle wave out it. Then make the boost regulator, but drive it from a pulse generator to check it out. Then pull the whole thing together. 

Then design a battery charger and interface and an on/off switch. Then install the beast in the trailer. 

I intend to publish photos of the building and verification process next week. I will also publish the schematic as it now is. I switched to direct current control and didn't document the change. It's not a big change, but it lowers the operating voltage and therefore the power requirements.

Late addition. I soldered the linear regulator and soft-start (and resoldered after finding I needed more LM317 current as explained above). I'm actually hitting 9.2V for input voltages above about 11V, that's less than 5% error.  The scope shot shows lower because my waveform generator only goes up to 10V. The soldering is not the best I've done. I could blame the re-solder, but I'm out of practice. I will have to do better when I put the triangle wave generator on here. I'm trying to decide if I use sockets for that part. It would make soldering safer.


9V regulator with soft start.

Soft start in operation. A bit faster than expected, but close enough. 


Miscellaneous tidbit for this week. I use this alias in my .cshrc.
alias big 'find . -type f -exec ls -s1k {}  \; | sort -gr | head'

And this one in a .bashrc.
alias big='find . -type f -exec ls -s1k '{}'  \; | sort -gr | head'

I don't remember now if the syntax is different for the different shells or just how they have drifted.
big gives a sorted list of the ten largest files in the current hierarchy


Bruce McLaren

No comments:

Post a Comment